Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Look Whose Using Twitter!

When I had to join Twitter for my PR Admin class this semester, I thought it would be an easy way to keep in touch with the other students in my class and our professor. Little did I know how many people and companies were on the microblogging site! I have now been on Twitter for almost three months and now have 57 followers and I am following 68 people...Not bad for a little PR student! 
In the past few months, Twitter has been all over the television and Internet. People on newscasts are talking about it and even Ellen DeGeneres did a whole monologue on her talk show about Twitter, after P. Diddy introduced it to her! But not only are celebrities and journalist on Twitter, but also CEO's of companies and different products. I came across an article in Forbes about how many cult brands and their fans are flocking to twitter. Read the article here.  This article gives examples such as Kodak and Dunkin' Doughnuts who have employees tweeting about products, promotions, and even their personal lives. The Dunkin' Doughnuts tweets are very laid back and easygoing, mirroring the "Average Joe Dunkin" that the company seeks to attract. Twitter is also helping get the word out to consumers about promotions companies have, and the consumers are listening. Dell claims that it has sold over $1 million worth of refurbished computers thanks to its "DellOutlet" Twitter page, which has 153,527 followers. The other day I tweeted about how I had Krystals for dinner and the next day Krystals Fast Food was following me! Its is interesting how companies can find you on Twitter! 
Overall Twitter is a great site and if your not on it already, I suggest you jump on the bandwagon and start following people! I will end this post with a quote from the article that I feel sums up Twitter and it's advantages. "Marketers like that Twitter isn't obtrusive. Users select the people--and brands--they want to follow. Companies have an audience that has already shown an affinity for what they sell. Their challenge is to figure out what to do with that connection." 

1 comment:

  1. I also find it amazing that everyone seems to into this twitter mania! Who knew it would become such a much have. I love that we can stay connected to celebrities and PR professionals!

    ReplyDelete