Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Taylor's Top Ten

It is very hard to believe that when I push that little "Publish Post" button down there (and shared one last meal with Team LASC), I will have officially finished my Public Relations concentration. I have learned so much over the past two years and I wanted to share with you my Top 10 things I've learned in PR.

1. Network
If I learned one thing in PR, it is the importance of networking. It does not matter the contact, the more you network the better! You never know when you might need that person you met at a conference, party, or wedding!
2. Good Writing Skills
Writing is such an important skill to have in PR. You never know when someone might need you to write a news release or an article for a newsletter. Being a good writer is also something that will benefit you not only in PR, but every form of communications.
3. Get involved in Social Media
This is another major thing that I have learned in my PR concentration. The benefits of being on Twitter, PR Open Mic, Linked In, and other social media sites allow you to accomplish my number one thing, networking, and keep you in the loop of what's going on in the PR world.
4. Learn How to Plan, Implement, and Execute a PR campaign
This semester was my first opportunity to do this in a group setting and not with my entire class. I learned the things that worked and the things that did not work. I think that practice makes perfect when it comes to doing a campaign and the more you do them, the better you will become.
5. Read Blogs
So I will admit, I have recently become addicted to reading blogs. There are SO many blogs on so many different topics and have learned a lot through reading them once a week. Most PR professionals and agencies have blogs where they post information about what they are doing in PR and it is a great way to keep up with new things going on in PR. (See #3!)
6. Find your niche and go for it!
There are so many aspects in PR, from event planning, to writing press releases, social media, and more. I think I have found my niche in Corporate Social Responsibly and would love to be a part of helping a company develop their CSR.
7. The more experience the better
I have done practicums with our student newspaper, our student radio station, and The GIVE Center, the volunteer hub of GCSU. In my PR classes I have done PR for a non-profit healthcare clinic, planned an auction for our Athletic Auction, and helped promote two shows on The CW. I can take away different lessons from each task I was handed and encourage you to try out different fields of PR so you can accomplish #6!
8. Learn to relate with the media
As a PR professional, you will probably be the liaison between your company and the media. Learn how to pitch well and relate with the media.
9. Event planning is more than just throwing a party...
There is so much more that goes on behind the scenes, you would be amazed. One of my favorite things to see is an event unfold. There is just something magical about it.
10. Have fun!
Life is not worth it id your not enjoying what you're doing! Don't get stressed about the little things and enjoy the fruits of your labor!!

ltf signing off.

1 comment: