Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Skewed Views

Earlier this week, I was looking through some tweets of the people I've been following on Twitter and came across a re-tweet about an article in USA Today. This article, entitled "Despite Dim view of public relations, it may be needed", discussed how many people view the PR world. 

If you would like to read this article, you can click here

As I began to read it, the article brought up many issues that I have heard of and some of which I have already experienced. Many people seems to think that public relations is manipulative and does whatever it can to get their client's name out into the world. They also talk about how some believe in public relations the truth is not always told and little white lies are part of the package. The article also mentions the "feud" between PR professionals and journalists. During my senior year of high school, I interned at our local television station in Albany and had a great chance to get exposed to the world of mass communications. While working with producers, I was told numerous times how much they did not like PR people and felt like their job was so much easier than that of the television producer. Since taking classes dealing with PR, I believe that this is not true! One of the quotes from the article that stands out to me is this, "Yet without the PR industry, argue Morris and Goldsworthy, there would be very little news." Many of the stories we find on television and in newspapers were most likely pitched by some type of PR person. Working with my client last semester and doing PR for "Yours Anne" has shown me that this true. Even working at the TV station my senior year I saw this as well, every day at the staff meeting people would have printed out press releases (which back then, I had no idea what they were...)  when discussing story ideas for the day. Good public relations, I feel, should be the backbone to any company. Even if many people are not sure what it is, or think that it is just putting a "spin" on things, pubic relations is hopefully something that is here to stay and helps rather than hinders how we go about our daily routine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment