Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Who owns the right to your Facebook?

This morning when I signed into my Facebook page, I was greeted with a message letting me know that there was a "Terms Of Use" Update. Normally I would ignore such a message, but when I got on Twitter I saw that people had made tweets about how if you didn't want Facebook owning your content, you better "dump" it now. I decided to look into it more and came across an article in the Chicago Tribune entitle Facebook's friendship comes with fine print.  
This article discusses Facebook's privacy policy and hints on the fact that when you sign up for Facebook, you agree to a Terms of Use that gives Facebook license to share your information with others on the social network. With this new terms of use, some users showed concern over weather Facebook can use your information forever. Mark Zuckerberg, creator of Facebook, said this in one blog post "In reality, we wouldn't share your information in a way you wouldn't want. The trust you place in us as a safe place to share information is the most important part of what makes Facebook work. Our goal is to build great products and to communicate clearly to help people share more information in this trusted environment." In this day and age, when everyone uses the Internet to share and find information,
it is interesting to think of who actually has the right to it and who all can access it. I post lots
information on Facebook and Twitter and even though I would never think it interesting enough
for someone to take and distribute elsewhere, in reality they could. So be careful what you post
and make sure that you check into the terms of use before you sign up for any social networking site!

No comments:

Post a Comment